Friday, July 22, 2016

The Avuncular Motivator

Majyd Aziz

Many moons ago, I was surprised to receive a dinner invitation hosted by Abdul Kader Jaffer at his residence in honor of the French Ambassador. Until then, I must have met him once or twice and that too at some reception. AKJ is famous for his exclusive dinners and so, naturally, I sent my confirmation. The twenty or so guests at the dinner were from the A-list of well known personalities and I got the opportunity to network with them. After the sumptuous home-made dinner, AKJ got up to deliver his welcome remarks in his own inimitable style. During his speech, he said something that immediately boosted my morale and I was on Cloud Nine. Addressing the diplomat, he pointed towards me and said highly encouraging words about me. He said, “Excellency, this young man is a Bulldozer.”  I am sure AKJ must have read or heard about my penchant for vigorously getting things done for my business constituency.

Years later, the then Japanese Consul General invited me, alongwith others to his residence for dinner. There he announced that there was a need to set up the Pakistan Japan Business Forum under the leadership of AKJ. However, since he was at that time about to leave for London as Pakistan’s High Commissioner to the Court of St. James, Aziz Memon would be the Founding President and I would be the Founding Secretary General. I am convinced that AKJ must have proposed my name to the Consul General. I was tasked with writing the Memorandum and Articles of Association and to go to Islamabad to get it approved by the Japanese Ambassador.

Fast forward to many years later, AKJ returned after a successful tenure as High Commissioner and got on with his business and social activities. One day, I received a call from the Japanese Consul General that we should approach AKJ and convince him to become President of PJBF. He suggested that I call AKJ and get his consent. I did just that. He was reluctant but I straightaway told him that we needed him to restore the glory of PJBF and we were of the opinion that he would provide the critical mass so desperately needed to make PJBF a force to reckon with. When I rang him up some days later, he accepted the offer but threw in a caveat. I had earlier informed my colleagues (we were 10 Japanese and 10 Pakistanis) in the Executive Committee that I would not contest elections but work as an ordinary member. AKJ said, “I want you on the Board as Vice President.” I informed him of my earlier decision. In a strong, raised voice, he said, “You will be my Vice President AND THAT IS AN ORDER.”

Anyway, if I had any notions of defying him, I was sadly mistaken. He repeated the Bulldozer comment and thus I had to get the election formalities modified. With AKJ as the helmsman, PJBF took on a fast track mode. He spearheaded the project of Joint Business Study with our counterparts based in Japan and made sure that Ministers and officials who mattered visited the Forum. Receptions and dinners in their honor were done at his home since he had a huge and spacious garden. This saved us a lot of money and enabled us to have our programs in a private environment.

AKJ was wearing quite a few hats during that time. He was managing his various companies, he was socially very active, he was heading PJBF, and, remarkably, he was putting his pet dream into reality. This is The Hub School, his gift to the future of Pakistan. This is no ordinary school, this is no low-investment institution, and this is no ill-planned initiative. This is going to be an epitome of scholastic excellence, more so because it is an AKJ project. Single-handedly and with missionary zeal and fervor, he trotted the globe and attracted pledges of financial support and technical expertise. In reality, his name and his family legacy, coupled with his determination and dedication, enabled people to open up their fat wallets for The Hub School.

English Speaking Union of Pakistan was founded by the respectable and distinguished Ahmed E. H. Jaffer, the paterfamilias of the Jaffer clan. I was fortunate to have met him once when I stopped to let him and the Former Chief Justice of Pakistan, Justice A. R. Cornelius walk down the path. Mr Jaffer looked at me and asked me my name and what I was doing. Then, glancing towards the noted jurist, he said to him, “this young man should join the English Speaking Union of Pakistan.” Of course, I had heard of ESUP but had no idea about its role and procedures. It was many years later that I formally joined ESUP. Today, with the approval of Senior Vice Presidents, AKJ and Byram Avari, and President Aziz Memon, I am the Secretary General of ESUP. Another feather in my cap and, incidentally, the “invitation” of the two eminent gentlemen came to fruition.

AKJ is a tough taskmaster. He does not accept any excuses not does he tolerate deviation from protocol. And, he does not appreciate NO for an answer. He is meticulous about details and ensures that everything is perfect in meetings (like his father, he also maintains strict punctuality), and processes are in order. When he rises to speak, it is with conviction, it is forceful and he does not mince words. Ministers, diplomats, and officers, and all of us, catch on to his every word because he speaks with authority, with substance and with sincerity.

I have learnt a lot from him. I have also borne the brunt of his irritation and, at times, anger. But that does not mean that one should get dejected or depressed with his criticisms or comments. More importantly, if we convinced him that we were right, he accepted it with all the merit of our counter-arguments. This is what makes us respect and love him more.

As I close this article with all my prayers and best wishes for AKJ and his family, I am sanguine AKJ, or Kader Bhai as we address him with utmost respect, a man whose sartorial taste is immaculate, whose social responsibilities are noteworthy, whose leadership style is inspiring, and whose oratory is rousing, would agree with  Kimora Lee Simmons, a noted American creative entrepreneur, who once stated that I feel like I'm a good motivator; I'm very determined.”

No comments:

Post a Comment